My grandma recently informed me that peanut butter and egg sandwiches are widely sold in Taiwan’s breakfast shops. She even raved about how delicious they were. Bewildered, I questioned this statement: How could such seemingly contrasting flavors taste good together? I was proven wrong, however, the second I tried it. The toasted bread and creamy peanut butter uniquely complemented the savory fried egg. We added grilled onions too, which brought an extra hearty element to the mix. If you’re looking to try some unexpectedly tasty flavors, read on for this simple recipe!
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of bread (I recommend crusty bread, such as sourdough)
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ onion, sliced (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over medium heat. Once it’s heated, crack an egg into the pan.
- Season the egg with salt and pepper. Flip it over to cook it over-easy style and fry until desired crispiness is achieved. Remove the egg from the pan.
- With the same pan, add the remaining oil. Add the sliced onions and season to taste. Cook over medium heat until browned and translucent.
- Toast your bread, and spread both slices with a generous amount of peanut butter.
- Build your sandwich by adding the egg to the bread. Add grilled onions, if desired, and enjoy!
This sandwich is a combination of the last things you’d expect to taste good together. I, too, was very skeptical at first. But if you’re feeling adventurous, I encourage you to give this a try. After all, some of the tastiest creations come from the most unexpected combinations.
Contact Kristie Lin at [email protected].