BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Berkeley police arrest suspect for alleged hate crime

GOOGLE | COURTESY

During an April 18 incident, Berkeley Police Department officers responded to a disturbance between a driver for a delivery service and another driver, who was identified as a 35-year-old woman. The officers arrested the woman on suspicion of false imprisonment, battery, use of offensive words and willfully threatening an individual based on their perceived characteristics.

APRIL 27, 2021

Berkeley police officers arrested a suspect on suspicion of a hate crime and other alleged offenses following an incident that occurred April 18.

On the evening of the incident, officers responded to a disturbance near Delaware Street and McGee Avenue, according to a Berkeley Police Department Nixle alert. The incident involved a driver of a package delivery service and another driver, identified as a 35-year-old Berkeley woman.

The alert added that the woman and her partner followed the package delivery driver when they thought “the package delivery person (was) driving too fast in the area.”

The woman and her partner proceeded to confront the package delivery driver on the 1700 block of Delaware Street, according to the alert, and then used force and “hateful language disparaging” people of color to prevent the driver from leaving.

Officers arrested the woman after the incident on suspicion of false imprisonment, battery, use of offensive words and willfully threatening an individual based on their perceived characteristics, the alert states.

Check back for updates.

Contact Thao Nguyen at  or on Twitter

APRIL 27, 2021