Treat yourself this last week of classes with some kimchi fried rice

Photo of Kimchi
Emily Liu/Staff

While away from Berkeley, I’ve been thinking about Bear’s Ramen House and its delicious kimchi fried rice. I sought to recreate the taste of this fried rice and reminisce about the late-night food runs to get kimchi fried rice, only to be devoured within seconds at Moffitt Library with my friends. With Maangchi’s fried rice recipe as inspiration, here’s my take on kimchi bokkeumbap, or kimchi fried rice.

Ingredients

• 2 cups cooked rice 
  • 1 cup cabbage kimchi
  • ¼ cup kimchi juice
  • 1 ½ spoons gochujang
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 green onion
  • 1 whole egg
  • Oil for cooking
  • Protein of choice (optional)
  • Roasted sesame seeds (optional)
  • Seaweed sheet (roasted nori or gim, optional)

Directions

1. Chop some kimchi and green onion, and cut the seaweed into small pieces. If you’re adding protein, cut it into your desired size, cook the protein and set aside for later.
  2. In a separate pan, heat up the oil over medium to high heat. Stir fry the chopped kimchi for about 1 minute. Then add in rice (chilled is better), gochujang and kimchi juice. Adjust the gochujang amount depending on your desired spice level. Stir the ingredients together before incorporating the protein and green onion. Stir the mixture for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until your desired temperature.
  3. Turn off the heat, and add some sesame oil. Take the pan off the stove, and add sesame seeds and seaweed.
  4. Additionally, fry an egg until the bottom is crispy but the yolk is still runny. 

Serving size: 1 to 2 portions

There you have it! Serve the fried rice with the egg on top. This homestyle kimchi fried rice is not only simple and fast to make, but it is the ultimate comfort food. The best part about this dish is the flexibility in measurements and ingredients; just adjust the ingredients according to your tastes and preferences. This works for various dietary preferences, and the ingredients are gluten-free and vegan (just opt out of the fried egg and meat). You can also add various cooked vegetables such as carrots or spinach to substitute for the protein. Cook a larger batch for meal prepping, and easily store the fried rice in the refrigerator for another meal. Have fun with this dish! 

Contact Emily Lui at [email protected].