The Daily Californian Arts & Entertainment picks for best-dressed at the Oscars 2021

Photo from the Oscars
ABC/Courtesy

This year’s Academy Awards were anything but conventional. Much like many other major events that have taken place during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Oscars took a different form than usual –– the producers held the show at the Los Angeles Union Station instead of the usual Dolby Theater, and they rearranged the typical order of the awards. Though the logistics of the show may have been a little odd, that didn’t get in the way of a stunning red carpet. From LaKeith Stanfield’s edgy take on male formalwear to Angela Bassett’s timeless elegance, the stars at this year’s ceremony outdid themselves on the red carpet. Here are the Daily Californian’s picks for the top five best dressed celebrities at the 93rd Academy Awards.

Carey Mulligan in Valentino Haute Couture

Carey Mulligan delivered one of the most memorable performances of the year in “Promising Young Woman,” and though she didn’t end up taking the prize for best actress, she certainly left a lasting impression on the red carpet. The British actress wore an eye-catching Valentino Haute Couture gown made up of a sparkling gold ball skirt and a matching bandeau. Mulligan completed the glamorous look with a simple updo and paired-back jewels, minimizing the distractions from her striking dress.

Angela Bassett in Alberta Ferretti

Angela Bassett has been a red carpet regular for decades, and she’s made a reputation for her elegant and timeless sense of style. This year’s Oscars are no exception: The legendary actress turned heads in a glamorous red Alberta Ferretti gown. Her dress featured dramatic off-the-shoulder sleeves and a sleek cape. Bassett complemented the gown with a quirky lip-shaped clutch and striking jewelry.

LaKeith Stanfield in Saint Laurent

LaKeith Stanfield’s Saint Laurent jumpsuit was one of the most talked-about outfits of the night, and for good reason. The actor, who was nominated for best supporting actor for his performance in “Judas and the Black Messiah,” balanced formal and casual with his cool, sophisticated outfit. The well-tailored jumpsuit featured wide pant legs and a broad collar, giving it just the right amount of edge. Stanfield’s accents and accessories tied the look together –– between his chunky chain, tinted sunglasses, nail polish and bleached hair, the actor put a stylish twist on the traditional Oscars dress code.

Olivia Colman in Dior Haute Couture

Though Olivia Colman couldn’t make it to Los Angeles for the Oscars and instead attended a screening of the ceremony in London, the actress still managed to have one of the best looks on the red carpet. Colman’s red gown –– which was specially made for her and took over 300 hours to construct –– featured a high neckline, ankle-baring hem and long, puffy sleeves. She complimented the dress with matching red heels and dangling diamond earrings, making for a sophisticated and graceful look.

Zendaya in Valentino

Zendaya is known for her daring and youthful sense of style, and the actress’ Cher-inspired outfit at this year’s Oscars is a perfect example. Zendaya wore a bright yellow gown with a midriff cutout and flowy train, complete with $6 million worth of jewelry that included a matching yellow diamond necklace. She pulled the exuberant look together with a long, natural hairdo and simple makeup, making her outfit one of the most memorable of the night.

Contact Salem Sulaiman at [email protected].