BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 28, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

UC system 'deeply grateful' for CA Gov. Gavin Newsom's proposed $807 million investment

MATT GIBSON | FILE

The UC Office of the President issued a statement Friday saying it was "deeply grateful" for California Gov. Gavin Newsom's proposed $807 million state investment.

MAY 17, 2021

On Friday, the UC Office of the President, or UCOP, issued a statement saying it was “deeply grateful” for California Gov. Gavin Newsom’s proposed $807 million state investment.

More than $506 million of the investment will go toward current funding for core campus operations, student needs and medical training, according to the UCOP statement.

This investment — the largest in UC history — is part of Newsom’s revised 2021-22 state budget and mirrors an earlier agreement to fully restore more than $300 million in budget reductions made in the 2020 state budget, the statement added.

“The governor’s proposed investment of more than $300 million in one-time funding would support critical upgrades and the expansion and development of energy efficiency projects across our campuses,” the statement reads.

Newsom’s proposed investment would offer additional support to UC programs, making health care more accessible to underserved and geographically isolated communities and fostering diversity through the UC PRIME program, according to the statement. The budget proposal also includes increased funding for student mental health support and technical assistance at UC campuses.

The statement said the budget proposal would grant California public higher education institutions access to $4 billion in state grants for affordable student housing for the next two years, showcasing “the governor’s commitment to students and families.”

“We look forward to continuing to collaborate closely with Gov. Newsom and with the Legislature to secure these critical resources in support of our students, UC research and innovation, and quality health care for even more Californians,” the statement reads.

Tarunika Kapoor is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected], and follow them on Twitter at @tkapoor_dc.

MAY 17, 2021