BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Man arrested by police, charged with child harassment

DANIEL KIM | FILE

Nickolas Daniel Perez allegedly stopped and harassed a father and his 8-year-old daughter Tuesday afternoon. He was arrested by Berkeley Police Department officers on suspicion of child harassment and "willfully causing a child to suffer."

MAY 19, 2021

Berkeley Police Department officers arrested Nickolas Daniel Perez on Tuesday afternoon after the man allegedly stopped and harassed a father and his 8-year-old daughter, causing the child to allegedly run away with Perez in pursuit.

At 3:30 p.m., the father and his daughter were walking on Ashby Avenue when Perez allegedly approached the pair and attempted to initiate contact with the girl, according to the Nixle alert issued by BPD. When the child began to flee, Perez allegedly chased after her, the pursuit occurring “east on Ashby Avenue, then north on Piedmont Avenue, and then west on Russell Street …” The alleged chase finally ended when the child reached the fire station located on 2710 Russell St., where firefighters allowed her in for safety.

Following this, BPD officers located Perez by Claremont Avenue and The Uplands and arrested him on suspicion of child harassment and “willfully causing a child to suffer,” according to the alert.

Officers later determined that Perez had been previously arrested May 5 on suspicion of harassing and threatening children at a child care center.

Check back for updates.

Contact Samantha Lim at 

MAY 20, 2021