An extraordinary year didn’t stop staffers at The Daily Californian from producing excellent work.
Confronted by a pandemic and the utterly unique challenge of entirely virtual production, student journalists stepped up to the plate from across the country, and the California News Publishers Association’s 2020 California Journalism Awards lent recognition to those efforts.
The Daily Cal won first place in multiple categories for four-year universities, including general excellence — you are now a reader of the best college newspaper in California.
Former upper management members — editor in chief Sarah Harris, managing editor Amanda Bradford and creative director Alexander Hong — were deservedly recognized for their diligent and inspiring efforts producing “thought provoking, diverse content” and leading the Daily Cal through an unprecedented year.
- General Excellence
- Columns: Cal in Color by Savon Bardell
- Writing: “Grave robbing at UC Berkeley: A history of failed repatriation” by Sage Alexander
- Online General Excellence
- Writing: “Blockeley University hosts virtual commencement for UC Berkeley class of 2020” by Kaleo Mark
- Sports Action Photo: Staff photo in “Cal falls to Arizona State despite defensive showcase” by Josh Kahen
- Profile Story: “Foundation in family, football motivate Cal right guard McKade Mettauer” by Jasper Kenzo Sundeen
Jasper Kenzo Sundeen is the editor in chief. Contact him at [email protected].