BERKELEY'S NEWS • MARCH 25, 2023

Welcome to the (March) Madness! Read more here

Berkeley police respond to report of deceased man at Civic Center Park, 3 men discovered

GOOGLE | COURTESY

Berkeley police responded to reports of unresponsive men at Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park.

JUNE 07, 2021

Berkeley Police Department officers responded to a call Sunday at the Martin Luther King Jr. Civic Center Park on reports of a man who was suspected to be deceased near a tent.

Following the arrival of emergency personnel, the man, who was in his 50s, was confirmed to be deceased, according to BPD spokesperson Byron White. Inside the tent, emergency responders discovered another man in his 50s unconscious. Berkeley Fire Department personnel administered naloxone and transported him to a local hospital.

White added that BPD officers found evidence of recent drug use inside and around the tent the two men were discovered in, noting that it is likely that the death was accidental.

Nearly three hours following the BPD response to the first report, officers who were still at the location received reports of another unresponsive person inside of the park.

When emergency personnel arrived, they confirmed that the person, a man in his 40s, was deceased.

“The Alameda County Coroner’s Office responded to the scene for the two deceased men and will later determine the exact cause of death,” White said in an email.

Check back for updates.

Samantha Lim is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected], and follow her on Twitter at @sssamanthalim.

JUNE 07, 2021