CA Gov. Gavin Newsom increases state energy capacity amid heat wave

Photo of Gavin Newsom
CA Governor/Creative Commons
(Public Domain)

As a major heat wave impacts states across the Western United States, California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed an emergency proclamation Thursday freeing up energy capacity across the state.

The proclamation, made amid extreme temperatures during the state’s wildfire season, suspends some permitting requirements, according to a press release from the governor’s office. Residents may use backup power generation to “alleviate the heat-induced demands” faced by the state’s energy grid.

“For the next several days, much of the West and Southwest are expected to see triple-digit heat, making it imperative that individuals take precautions to stay safe from the heat and do what they can to conserve energy,” the press release reads.

State energy agencies also ask residents to reduce the amount of energy used in the evenings through June 18 as part of the “Flex Your Power” campaign, the press release notes.

The California Independent System Operator, which manages the state’s power grid, issued a Flex Alert on Wednesday calling for residents to cut energy use due to increased electricity demand, according to a PG&E press release.

PG&E also outlined several recommendations for residents’ businesses on how to efficiently cool rooms in the press release, such as using fans and closing shades.

“Customers can actively help by shifting energy use to morning and nighttime hours,” the PG&E press release reads. “Conservation can lower demand and reduce the duration of possible power interruptions.”

No power shutoffs are currently anticipated, the press release adds.

Check back for updates.

Aditya Katewa is the executive news editor. Contact him at [email protected], and follow him on Twitter at @adkatewa1.