5 international musicians to check out based on your favorite genre

Bruce Baker/Creative Commons

Expanding my music taste from beyond the American borders is a decision that I will never regret. Because traveling has been made nearly impossible due to the pandemic, I’ve found that listening to music from other countries and cultures is the perfect way to explore the world in the comfort of my own home. Here are five international music recommendations if you’re desperately looking for an escape from the country through the magic of music.

If you like bedroom pop, check out Videoclub

If you’re looking for dreamy tunes that easily make you romanticize your less-than-exciting life, Videoclub has the perfect debut album for you. This young French duo is perfect for fans of Clairo or other indie-pop music enthusiasts. The pair’s music will make you feel like you’re coming of age in the streets of Paris with their soft yet upbeat songs. Prepare to escape into an ideal world once you let Videoclub’s music fill your room.

If you like chill R&B, check out DPR Live

All the way from South Korea, DPR Live makes the coolest music for any occasion. Whether you’re studying, hanging out with friends or yearning for a secret somebody, DPR Live’s music will surely put you in the right mood. His music is the definition of good vibes that are guaranteed to get you wanting more.

If you like atmospheric electronic music, check out Molina

Danish-Chilean composer and singer, Molina, who is now based in Copenhagen, will not only transport you out of this country but out of this world with her ethereal synths and soft voice. Fans of artists such as Grimes will thoroughly appreciate the unique sound accompanied by the psychedelic instrumentals.

If you like folk music, check out Ichiko Aoba

As you listen to Japanese singer-songwriter Ichiko Aoba, you might imagine yourself walking down an aisle of cherry blossom trees due to her beautiful and mellow sound. Aoba’s music will put you in a state of peace and tranquility that will keep you calm, cool and collected for the entire day. From heavenly acoustics to vocals that send shivers down one’s back, you’ll feel compelled to be one with nature once you listen to this artist.  

If you like alternative rap, check out Tkay Maidza

Tkay Maidza is a female rapper whom you definitely need to keep your eyes on. Born in Zimbabwe and raised in Australia, Tkay’s music is innovative and no two songs sound the same. She is one of the most versatile artists out there as she fuses many genres together to create her own style of rap. That being said, if you’re a fan of rappers such as Tyler, the Creator or want a discography full of surprises, Tkay Maidza is definitely your girl.

Once you start exploring music from across the world, you’ll realize how much talent and artistry is out there. Hopefully, these few artists will give you a good start in discovering multicultural music and visiting different countries through powerful music.

Contact Zara Koroma at [email protected].