Collin Morikawa secures Olympic bid, becomes Cal’s 1st golf Olympian

photo of Cal men's golfer Colin Morikawa
Karen Chow/File

Collin Morikawa, a four-time PGA Tour winner and former Bear, is taking his talents to Tokyo. He will become the first golfer to represent Cal in the Olympics.

Morikawa secured his spot on the team after tying for fourth at the 121st U.S. Open. Joining him on Team USA are Justin Thomas, Xander Schauffele and Bryson DeChambeau.

Morikawa may be the youngest member of the Olympic team, but he’s also the second highest-ranked, behind only Thomas. The 24-year old, who graduated from Cal two years ago, sits at No. 4 in Olympic Golf Rankings.

During his collegiate career, Morikawa tied Cal’s 54-hole school record, with a 17-under par performance and a total score of 196. He is the only four-time All-American in program history, and the all-time average strokes leader.

After Cal, Morikawa began his professional career by making 22 consecutive cuts, a feat only topped by Tiger Woods. Within his young professional career, he’s become the only player besides Woods to win a Major and WGC event before the age of 25. Since then, he’s secured 17 top-ten finishes while playing on the PGA Tour.

When the Games come around later this summer, Morikawa will represent the United States in the second Olympic golf tournament in 112 years and look to earn the first international victory of his professional career.

Aiko Sudijono is the deputy sports editor. Contact her at [email protected].