What is Handicap Horse Racing?

What is Handicap Horse Racing?

Handicap horse racing makes horses carry a prearranged weight depending on their previous win or loss performance. The additional weight makes the playing field as equal as possible by giving horses with good track records more weight to carry. Thus, in principle, handicaps allow every one of the horses with an equal opportunity of winning.

It is undeniable that simply watching and betting on horse races is both challenging and exciting. However, it is also true that understanding the rules of racing in-depth heightens the onlookers’ overall experience.

How It Works

A handicap race is essentially a competition wherein each horse has a fixed weight to carry to make the game as neck-and-neck as possible. Handicap races are mainly run on jumps and flats. Handicapping is grounded on the belief that the total weight horses carry directly influences their overall running speed and stamina.

A winning horse will have to bear a heavier weight since the handicapper believes they have a greater capacity to dominate races. Conversely, horses with less capacity will carry significantly lesser weight, which will grant them an advantage.

The handicapper’s objective in appointing handicap weights is to equalize the abilities of the horses and make them finish the race in a straight line. However, a straight-line finish has never been done yet. For racegoers, the ability to choose a champion of a handicap race depends on successfully picking out a better horse than the one the handicapper chose.

Handicap Weights

Each point difference is equal to 1lb additional weight in the seat when it comes to rating. So, for instance, the horse with a 100 rating would need to carry 5lbs more than its rival with a 95 rating. Regarding the example, in principle, the difference in ratings and their corresponding weights provide both horses with an equal opportunity to win the race. The additional weights are put in a weight cloth, which is set under the saddle. The overall weight figure incorporates:

• The saddle
  • The  jockey
  • The weight-cloth

After all the horse races, each jockey needs to weigh in and weigh out using official weight scales in the weighing room. This requirement is done to ensure that the horse carries the right assigned weight.

Handicap Rating

As said before, weight affects the overall horse speed at which a contender can run, and this fixed weight is given depending on the horse’s perceived capacity. The one in charge of allocating the weights is called a ‘Handicapper.’ It is their job to analyze a horse’s previous performances and deliberate how much weight they need to carry.

Each racehorse is assigned an official rating by the horse rating executive. Officials determine a rating once a contender has dominated a race or was a participant in at least three races. Watching these races permits the handicapper to form an accurate idea of a horse’s racing ability. After gauging the horse’s capacity, they then appoint an official rating, which will also be its handicap mark.

In some uncommon instances, the handicapper might request a contender to race for a fourth time before deciding on a rating. Officials usually request an extra run if they deem that they can’t decide on the exact degree of a horse’s ability using only the three previous races. 

Handicap ratings are dynamic and constantly change since they are regularly analyzed each week. Each time a horse participates in a run, the handicapper will evaluate its performance, which will result in a decrease or increase in rating. Horse ratings ordinarily change due to the following:

• The rating will increase if the horse wins a race by a large margin;
  • The rating can stay the same if the horse runs a decent race, wherein it retains its rank, or it places average;
  • The rating will decrease if the horse loses a race by a large margin.

Handicap Penalty and Ahead of the Handicapper

Handicaps are generally unchangeable when contenders are entered for a run – usually five days prior. If a horse dominates a race after being assigned a rating, officials will generally give them additional weight to punish them. Thus, the term penalty. The penalty weight and the date it comes into effect vary depending on the guidelines of the run. At times, dominating certain races may also not result in a penalty.

If the horse does not incur a penalty, its rating and the weight it will carry will stay the same. But because a handicap rating becomes unchangeable a few days before the run, the handicapper might need to evaluate some horses between their win and the upcoming race under a penalty.

Assume the racing official gives a horse a higher rating than the penalty weight it is carrying. In this situation, the horse is deemed to be “Ahead of the Handicapper.” Being ahead of the handicapper means the horse needs to carry a heavier weight for the next run.

In Summary

Handicap racing is the most common and popular kind of horse racing around the globe, and they are set up to provide high odds of winning for every one of the contenders. With the equal playing field, racegoers experience much more challenge and excitement in finding out which horse will come out on top.

The Daily Californian’s editorial and newsroom staff were not involved in this advertisement’s production. For advertising and sponsorship opportunities or more information about paid content, contact [email protected]