Berkeley deputy city manager David White steps down, to join Santa Monica

After serving the city of Berkeley since May 2019, deputy city manager David White will join Santa Monica’s executive team as its next city manager beginning Oct. 11.

Prior to joining Berkeley, White served as city manager for Fairfield for five years, according to a city of Santa Monica press release. White’s employment contract will be considered by the Santa Monica City Council on July 27, the press release added.

“Santa Monica is a wonderful community and I am eager to engage and work closely with the City Council, staff, residents, and businesses implementing City Council’s top priorities  — achieving a clean and safe Santa Monica, addressing homelessness, and  ensuring an equitable and inclusive economic recovery,” White said in the press release.

During his time as Berkeley’s deputy city manager, White oversaw significant changes to the city’s policing practices and accountability structure, and he also handled portions of the city budget.

As part of his new post in Santa Monica, White will manage a city budget of more than $700 million and nearly 2,000 employees, the press release added.

Aditya Katewa is the executive news editor. Contact him at [email protected], and follow him on Twitter at @adkatewa1.