4 ways I ate eggs growing up in a Taiwanese household

Photo of tea egg
Daniela Eftimova/Creative Commons

From omelets to deviled eggs, there are an infinite number of ways you can cook an egg. My favorites have always been the ones my mom cooked for us growing up. No matter where I am, I’m always reminded of home when I try typical East Asian-style egg dishes. Here are my top picks.

Tea egg(茶葉蛋)

Most often found in convenience stores such as 7-Eleven in Taiwan, tea eggs are a great on-the-go snack for any time of the day. The eggs are first hard-boiled, cracked completely and placed into a large container before being coated by a tea seasoning mixture (made up of soy sauce, black tea leaves and other spices). Then, they are left for at least a day (though the flavor is more apparent if left longer) to braise and the eggs are ready to be consumed. Tea eggs are definitely a bit harder to make compared to the other ways in this article, so if you would like to try them out for yourself, Sheng Kee Bakery off of Telegraph Avenue sells them!

Scrambled eggs with green onion (葱蛋)

Cooked on medium heat, scrambled eggs with green onion was one of the staples of my childhood. After scrambling the eggs in a bowl, add in chopped green onions and a pinch of salt for seasoning. Once the pan has been heated and sprayed with oil, pour the egg mixture. When the sheet of eggs looks slightly golden brown, flip it over to cook on the other side until it’s golden brown. A popular way to serve this is between two slices of white bread, making a hearty and filling breakfast. 

Eggs with soy sauce(蛋加醬油)

As simple as the name suggests, this dish is made by combining unscrambled eggs with soy sauce. After cooking the eggs however you like (although most often over-easy, over-medium, over-hard, sunny-side up or fried), drizzle some soy sauce over the yolk and you are set! Many people like to have it over-medium (myself included) as the creamy yolk can combine with the soy sauce without being overly runny, but feel free to try out different methods to find your favorite way of consuming this dish!

Egg crepe (蛋餅)

A staple breakfast food in Taiwan, egg crepes can essentially be customized based on your own preferences. After the pan is sprayed with oil, an unseasoned scrambled eggs mixture is poured in. Next, a piece of premade crepe is placed on top of the sheet of eggs and flipped over once the two stick together. Once the eggs are cooked completely and the crepe is golden brown, the most basic version is ready to eat. Feel free to add your favorite cheese, meat floss or seaweed before you roll the egg crepes. Having it with soy milk is the most popular combination, but black iced tea is common too! 

Although there are definitely more elaborate and fancy ways to cook an egg, they can never beat the home-cooked food that brings nostalgic memories. I hope you’ll be able to get a taste of my childhood by trying out these dishes!

Contact Erica Jean at [email protected].