Let these movies inspire your next outfit

movie still from Clueless
Paramount Pictures/Courtesy

Tired of scrolling through Pinterest to find fashion or outfit ideas? Switch up your style with some inspiration from all-time classic movies and shows such as “Clueless” or “Sex and the City.” As you sit back and rewatch these films, be sure to take notes on the variety of fashion aesthetics represented. The Clog’s made your job a little easier by identifying some unique outfit ideas you can replicate!

“Clueless”

There’s no question that the movie “Clueless” continues to influence style to this day, from inspiring Ariana Grande’s tour outfits to Iggy Azalea’s tribute in the music video “Fancy.” In fact, with the 2000s revival of Y2K and preppy fashion, this is even more apparent. Coming to the movie itself, you can find a variety of fits that are both fashionable and practical for the average person. From Cher’s iconic yellow plaid blazer and skirt set to Tai Frasier’s grunge outfits, there’s something for everyone.

“Gossip Girl”

Even though the novel-turned-television series was first released in 2007, the show’s outfits remain relevant to this day. The best part is that you can find inspiration for any occasion, from a casual hangout with your friends, to a chic night out! Plus, there’s a broad range of styles, such as Blair Waldorf’s preppy look, Serena van der Woodsen’s boho-rock or Nate Archibalds’ chic Ivy League. If you’re looking for something a little more modern, feel free to check out the “Gossip Girl” reboot.

“Sex and the City”

An immensely popular show from the 2000s, “Sex and the City” is perfect to draw fashion inspiration from, given that one of the main characters, Carrie Bradshaw (played by Sarah Jessica Parker), was a shopaholic. In fact, some of today’s well-known trends such as Manolo Blahnik heels, nameplate necklaces, visible bra straps and much more, were actually popularized because of the show.

“Mean Girls”

Arguably the most iconic teen comedy movie, Mean Girls coined the famous line, “On Wednesdays, we wear pink,” influencing teen fans to wear pink on Wednesdays. If you think that was it, think again! From Regina George’s velour tracksuit to Gretchen Weiner’s preppy skirts, there’s a lot to get inspired from. Feel free to check out the movie if you want to be “plastified” as well.

So there you have it! If you enjoyed this, stay tuned for a K-drama edition.

Contact Erica Jean at [email protected].