BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 19, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

Cal Veteran Services Center continues to provide services, programming this Veteran's Day

CAN JOZEF SAUL | STAFF

With Veteran's Day approaching, UC Berkeley's Cal Veteran Services Center will be host events and resources to provide a sense of community.

NOVEMBER 05, 2021

Resources and programming for student veterans at UC Berkeley have been steadily expanding, with the Cal Veteran Services Center, or CVSC, and student organizations such as Cal Veterans Group providing a sense of community.

As Veteran’s Day approaches, the CVSC and Cal Veterans Group are hosting a Veteran’s Day celebration and art gallery Nov. 13 at the Cal vs. USC tailgate at Wurster Hall Platform Artspace.

“We will be honoring our veteran community, highlighting art therapy as a form of mental health therapy, and be in community with each other,” said Luis Hernandez, program coordinator and academic achievement counselor at the CVSC in an email.

Other events being hosted for Veteran’s Day include the Hoops for Troops Resource Fair hosted by the Golden State Warriors where CVSC will be doing outreach and recruitment, along with other organizations.

According to Hernandez, the CVSC currently offers year-round services and programming and is a space for all veterans and military-connected students on campus.

The CVSC staff offers students counseling in areas including academics, financial aid, VA benefits and personal matters.

Additionally, the Veteran Outreach Peer Advisors provides advising services to prospective students.

Hernandez said the center also hosts workshops to help students with financial aid, benefits, job preparation and graduate school preparation.

The center’s expansion in recent years has led to the establishment of community rooms and study spaces meant to provide a sense of community for students, as well as resources such as free printing and computer access, Hernandez said.

While the onset of the pandemic initially forced the CVSC to shift to remote operations, they are currently working under a hybrid model and anticipate keeping this format in the future.

“Post-pandemic we will be returning to similar pre-pandemic in-person hours, while still maintaining an online presence,” Hernandez said in an email. “We want to be as accessible as possible.”

Contact Riya Chopra at [email protected].

NOVEMBER 05, 2021