BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Cal women’s basketball signs 4-star point guard Amaya Bonner

MEGHNATH DEY | STAFF

NOVEMBER 12, 2021

On Wednesday morning, Cal women’s basketball announced the signing of 2022 four-star point guard Amaya Bonner. The 6’0” prospect from Bishop O’Dowd High School in Oakland averaged 16.7 points, 6.8 rebounds and 5.7 assists per game throughout her four-year varsity career.

Ranked 51st in the nation by ESPNU, Bonner is the fifth top 100 recruit to sign with Cal under Charmin Smith’s three-year stint as head coach. Now regarded as the No. 12 guard in the class of 2022, Bonner has collected numerous impressive accolades throughout her career, including freshman all-state team in 2019, sophomore all-state team in 2020 and West Alameda County Conference co-Player of the Year in 2019. In the offseasons, Bonner played club basketball for Jason Kidd Select, an Oakland program sponsored by the former Cal men’s basketball standout.

Bonner verbally committed to Cal on social media in May 2020, choosing the blue and gold over numerous storied programs, including Cincinnati, Arizona, Arizona State, Boston College, Harvard, UCLA and Kentucky.

Bonner’s size and athleticism will be an asset to the Bears in the guard/wing position. Coaches and recruiters alike have marveled at Bonner’s high basketball IQ and her ability to be a leader on both ends of the floor.

Although the 2022 recruiting class is expected to be smaller than previous years’ for Cal, the addition of Bonner’s skill set will undoubtedly place the program on an upward trajectory.

Jane Kenny covers women’s basketball. Contact her at [email protected].

NOVEMBER 12, 2021