BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Empty out your candy bucket with this cookie recipe

EMMA SAYINER | FILE

NOVEMBER 14, 2021

The first Halloween after over a year of isolation was eventful for many of us. If you’ve racked up buckets of candy and don’t know what to do with them, this spin on the classic chocolate chip cookies using Halloween candy might be your best solution. Whether you’re working with Snickers or M&Ms, trying this recipe out can give you fresh, hot cookies in less than an hour. 

Ingredients: 

Serving Size: 12 cookies

• 1 cup of Halloween candy (chocolate or small candies, like candy corn) 
  • ⅓ cup of white sugar
  • ½ cup of brown sugar
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • ½ cup of melted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda

Instructions:

1. In a small bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Give it a mix to combine then set the bowl aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the melted butter and sugars. Beat these together until a light-colored mixture forms. 
  3. Add the egg and vanilla extract and continue to beat until the ingredients are fully incorporated. 
  4. Fold in the flour mixture. Then, add your choice of Halloween candy. Be sure to chop up the pieces if they are too large. 
  5. Let the cookie dough rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge to allow it to firm up. 
  6. Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  7. Divide your dough into about 12 pieces and space them out evenly on the sheet. 
  8. Bake the cookies for about 12-15 minutes. For that bakery-style cracked exterior, take them out halfway through and tap your baking sheet on the kitchen counter a couple of times. 
  9. Let cookies cool completely before eating them. Trust us, they’ll taste a lot better. 

Repeat this recipe as many times as you want until your Halloween candy bucket is empty. Be sure to share these cookies with your floor or apartment-mates. Who knows, it might spark a late Halloween afterparty or a great pre-Thanksgiving get-together.

Contact Samantha Centeno at 

NOVEMBER 14, 2021