UC Merced announces virtual reopening to semester

photo of an empty classroom
Sunny Shen/Senior Staff
While UC Merced students will return to campus housing starting Jan. 14, the campus will begin its semester remotely from Jan. 18 to 22.

UC Merced announced in a campuswide email Wednesday that the start of its spring semester will be remote from Jan. 18 through Jan. 22.

The email states that the virtual start of the semester is aimed at giving incoming students more time to test for COVID-19. Additionally, remote instruction may be extended based on “COVID-related circumstances” in the future, the email adds.

“We are all too aware that this pandemic has been a great physical and psychological burden,” the email reads. “But we are a community that is close to 100 percent vaccinated, with rigorous health and cleaning measures in place on campus and robust campus communications emphasizing the need to do our part for one other.”

The email adds that to be considered fully vaccinated, the university would be requiring booster shots for those who are eligible.

However, students will return to campus housing starting Jan. 14, according to the email.

“We will be studying carefully other campuses that are scheduled to return before our start of instruction to draw from their experiences,” the email reads. “We will remain in continuous consultation with the University of California, state and local public health officials and our own faculty experts.”

Christopher Ying is the city news editor Contact him at [email protected], and follow him on Twitter at @ChrisYingg.