NCAA updates COVID-19 guidelines

Photo of a COVID-19 vaccine vial
U.S. Secretary of Defense/File

On Thursday, Jan. 6, the NCAA updated its COVID-19 guidelines for all winter sports and student-athletes. Most notably, the guidelines account for vaccine booster shots in their definition of a “fully vaccinated individual.”

As stated, individuals are considered fully vaccinated if they are within two months of having completed the primary series of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine; within five months of having completed the primary series of the Pfizer vaccine; or within six months of having completed the Moderna vaccine. Furthermore, fully vaccinated status also accounts for anyone following a booster vaccine beyond two months of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or beyond five or six months of the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine.

Quarantine and isolation guidelines are also outlined. For unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated individuals who have come within close contact with an infected individual, the recommended quarantine period is five days. For vaccinated individuals who have come within close contact with an infected individual, no quarantine period is required. Instead, masks are encouraged to be worn for 10 days after close contact.

All COVID-19 guidelines and policies outlined by the NCAA can be expected to be applied to Cal Athletics games and events. As it currently stands, fans are still allowed to attend indoor sporting events with proof of full vaccination or test results.

Ryan Chien is the sports editor. Contact him at [email protected], and follow him on Twitter @RyanChienMedia.