BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

How to keep yourself accountable for your New Year's resolutions

TIFFANY HO | STAFF

JANUARY 23, 2022

With the start of January comes New Year’s resolutions piled high on behalf of those trying to become a better version of themselves. People from all walks of life are incorporating healthy habits into their lifestyles as a way to accomplish their goals by the end of 2022. These goals may include: reduced screen time, weekly catch-ups with a friend, securing a dream internship, etc. 

While setting goals is fine and well, forgetting about them isn’t. We all have seen New Year’s resolutions come and go — whether it be our friends or ourselves. If you’re guilty of forgetting all about your goals over the past years, we at the Clog don’t fault you. Rather, we recommend that you continue reading to find methods to hold yourself accountable in 2022. It’s time we accomplish our goals, right?

What’s your why?

I thought I’d preface this piece with a brief disclaimer. Like most things, there is certainly a harmful side to setting resolutions. The media often likes to put a toxic twist on everything it touches, and your goals and dreams are no exception to this reality. Despite what your 2022 intentions are, ensure that your “why” is a healthy one. Goals are meant to challenge you, not destroy you. With that said, your reasoning for each one of your goals is to make you fall in love with your growth and success, not the opposite. Once you’ve secured your healthy reasons, let’s get writing. 

Identify and jot down

Although store shelves are presently decked out with Valentine’s Day and St. Patrick’s Day decor, it’s not too late to set your goals mid-January. As someone once said, better late than never. In order to begin, it’s imperative to consider your past year. What habits worked for you in 2021? On a similar note, what wasn’t working well? Additionally, dreams and ambitions are always welcome into the equation. What’s something you’ve always wanted to achieve — academic-related or otherwise. After taking the time to decide what sort of goals you’d like to accomplish, write them down. Whether you’re a journal type of person or need help from images, having some sort of tangible reminder is crucial to accomplishing your intentions for this year. The internet has an array of methods for your selection from vision boards to journal prompts. Find the method that suits your style, and get to it! 

Habit trackers

If you’re anything like me, one of your New Year’s resolutions has been to drink water every year without fail. Yet, somehow, you’ve never actually increased your water consumption. This year, I’m approaching this goal of mine quite differently with the help of habit trackers. Also known as the process of documenting your intake on whatever it is that you would like to improve on. Whether that be social media, exercise-related or expenses, documenting your activities is a great way to meet your goal. There are many methods that you can use to record your screen time or how many ounces of water you drank. Apps such as Notion’s habit tracker are a perfect way to manage your progression. Or, you can always fall back on good old-fashioned pen and paper. Habits are difficult to curate, but remember that consistency is key. The more you incorporate activities into your life, the easier it will be to maintain them. 

Monthly reflections

Daily, weekly and even monthly reflections are important whether you’ve created a New Year’s intention or not. It’s a way to check in with yourself and in this case, your goals. The Clog has great journal prompts available that could easily be tailored to your needs. If you’re more of a wild spirit you can also resort to brain dumping the monthly action items that have helped you (or set you back) in terms of accomplishing your goal to a better you. 

With a new year comes new goals. As college students, maintaining self-care habits and other personal ambitions can be difficult. However it’s how I mentioned above, consistency is crucial to seeing the other side. The Clog and I wish you the best in 2022. May all of your wildest dreams come.

Contact Anyssa Torres at [email protected].

JANUARY 23, 2022