BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Clean sweep: Bears defeat every opponent at Stanford Invitational

KAREN CHOW | SENIOR STAFF

FEBRUARY 11, 2022

No. 2 Stanford was the first team No. 4 Cal women’s water polo team competed against at the Stanford Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 5 — both teams went head-to-head into overtime, where freshman Jessie Rose led the Bears into a sudden victory after she found the back of Stanford’s net within the first minute of overtime. 

Rose’s goal contributed to the teams’ first win against Stanford since 2018 — her goal interrupted the Bears’ eight-game losing streak against the Cardinal. Cal’s last win against Stanford, in 2018, also occurred during overtime. 

The Bears have proven to confront pressure with utter resilience. Senior Elli Protopapas scored a goal of her own. Then, junior Cecily Turner tied the game against Stanford 9-9, causing the game to go into overtime. 

That is when Rose truly rose above water with her game-winning goal. This was barely Rose’s ninth career game.

Not only was the Bears’ offense strong, but the defense held down its side of the pool. Junior Isabel Williams, Cal’s goalie, made an impressive 12 saves. The Bears emerged from the water with a 10-9 defeat over the Cardinal. 

That same day, the Bears faced UC Davis and walked away with a 9-4 win. The Aggies scored each of their four goals during the first half of the game. Cal’s defense, again, held up exceptionally strong and Davis was unable to touch the Bears’ net during the second half. Williams registered 14 saves against the Aggies. 

The following day, Sunday, Feb. 6, Cal went up against No. 9 Arizona State. The Bears’ defense left the Sun Devils with no opportunity to score until the last minute and a half of the second quarter. Despite Arizona State’s goal, Cal was still in the lead at halftime: 5-1.

Senior Emma Wright scored her fifth goal of the game during the third quarter. Wright contributed a sixth in the last quarter. Senior Elli Protopapas and junior Shea Salvino each added two goals. 

The Bears won 11-6.

Cal withstood tough waters with even tougher opponents — the Bears stood victorious over each of the three top-10 teams they faced at the Stanford Invitational. 

However, the fight does not get any easier for Cal, as it heads to Southern California to play No. 1 USC on Saturday, Feb. 19.

Contact Cassandra Maciel-Hernandez at 

FEBRUARY 11, 2022