BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

No. 4 Cal plummets to triumphant UCLA

CAROLINE LOBEL | STAFF

MARCH 09, 2022

Prior to confronting one another for their 75th game against each other, Cal and UCLA had only one loss each. This Saturday, March 5, UCLA handed Cal its second loss of the season — positioning Cal with an overall standing of 11-2. 

Along with being its second loss of its season, this was also the second MPSF game of the season for Cal. Each of the two losses for Cal have been MPSF games; thus, Cal holds its first major disadvantage of the season — 0-2 MPSF. 

Cal was scheduled to face San Diego State and UC Irvine for the Barbara Kalbus Invitational, following its game against USC on Saturday, Feb. 19. Due to health and safety protocols within the program, the Barbara Kalbus Invitational hosted by UC Irvine was canceled. 

As a result, Cal faced another team from Los Angeles, California, a lot sooner than expected — UCLA. 

The Bruins gave Cal a fair challenge. They battled for the win until the final seconds of the last quarter. 

Cal goalie, junior Isabel Williams has continued to shine bright. In making 18 saves, weathering the storm of tough attempts made by UCLA, she earned a career high. Cal attacker and junior Cecily Turner contributed three impressive goals.

Cal was unable to take the lead against UCLA; yet, Cal never trailed behind more than two goals. 

It was following the Bruins 5-3 lead, at the start of the third quarter where Cal utility, and junior, Shea Salvino and fellow teammate Cecily Turner each scored a goal, rounding the score to a tie in the remaining minute and a half of the third quarter. 

The last quarter consisted of a thorough exchange of goals. Senior attacker, and senior, Elli Protopapas registered two goals for Cal; defender, and freshman, Rozanne Voorvelt, earned the team two assists. 

Still the teams were tied up until the last minute and the idea of overtime was not appearing too far-fetched. UCLA avoided this, finding the back of Cal’s net with exactly a single minute remaining in the game .

Following UCLA’s game-winning shot, the final score for Cal was 8-9. 

Despite any adversity and the team’s disadvantageous MPSF standing, Cal fans are hopeful as the team continues its season this upcoming Saturday, March 12. Cal will host No. 12 San Jose State at the Spieker Aquatics Complex.

Contact Cassandra Maciel-Hernandez at 

MARCH 09, 2022