BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

How to throw the best Oscars party: Activities, foods, outfits

LINCOLNBLUES | CREATIVE COMMONS

(Photo by lincolnblues under CC BY 2.0.)

MARCH 16, 2022

The epitome of award shows, the 94th Academy Awards ceremony will be held on Sunday, March 27. What better way to enjoy this fabulous night of red carpet looks and anticipation of the envelope-enclosed winners than to throw your very own party filled with games and food that match the glamorous energy of the Oscars.

Print out prediction sheets 

Most movie buffs most likely have already watched the films nominated for Best Picture and made their decision on who will win — but how about Best Costume Design or Best Cinematography? Despite not being the most popular categories, making a game out of you and your friends’ predictions can allow for some friendly competition. Perhaps after watching all of the movies to make your predictions, this preparation can help give you a leg up on next year’s Oscars party. With tons of templates already available online, or easily customizable templates to fit the number of people in your friend group, this year’s Oscars party is sure to be one to ignite friendly feuds. 

Make themed foods from the nominated movies

While buttery popcorn is a hit while watching movies on the big screen, try something a little more creative! Making your own themed meals and snacks to match the Best Picture nominees can give you something to munch on as you wait for the winners but also make you feel as if you are a part of the movie. This year’s nominees include Steven Spielberg’s “West Side Story” and Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Licorice Pizza” — just to name a few. Perhaps you can put together a wide array of traditional Puerto Rican foods or go in the complete opposite direction and have a pizza party, including a sweet pizza with licorice as a topping. If themed foods sound a bit too crazy, creating a fancy Hollywood restaurant menu with hors d’oeuvres can transport you right to the red carpet. 

Dress up in red carpet attire

Staying in does not have to mean sweatpants and t-shirts. Now’s the time to take out that elegant dress or tuxedo hidden in the back of your closet. You can wear it to your party to feel like you’re inside the Dolby Theatre with other celebrities. Even dressing up in your most glamorous “going-out” outfit can make the watching experience more exciting and give you the perfect excuse for a great photo opportunity. If you really want to replicate the Oscars’ infamous Hollywood glam, you can purchase your own red carpet and pose just like your favorite celebrities. 

Plan the streaming service beforehand

Probably the easiest thing to overlook for this event is the streaming platform. For those of you without cable, the main streaming services include ABC and Hulu. If you happen to have AT&T TV or YouTube TV, these platforms also have the option to stream the Academy Awards. Ensuring that you have a stable Wi-Fi connection and the necessary streaming service subscription will allow for minimal buffering and no sudden stops while the presenters are announcing the most important awards. 

You still have time to watch all of the nominated films and gather the supplies to throw the ultimate Oscars party on the 27th. Cheers to a little friendly competition and feeling like an A-list movie star in your very own home. 

Contact Isabel Espinoza at [email protected].

MARCH 16, 2022