BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

'She will be groundbreaking': Anjali Jogia-Sattar runs for ASUC Senate

MARCH 17, 2022

After one and a half years of working behind the scenes in the ASUC, Anjali Jogia-Sattar is now running for the ASUC Senate as the South-Asian-endorsed senator. 

As a descendant of Pakistani and Indian parents, Jogia-Sattar said she hopes not only to be an advocate for the South Asian community, but a representative for minority ethnic groups within the larger South Asian community. Jogia-Sattar, a campus sophomore studying economics and political science, currently works as ASUC Senator Ashley Rehal’s chief of staff.

“The message behind the campaign is to uplift voices that have been left out of conversations and that are being actively silenced,” Jogia-Sattar said. “Being a minority student in a community group that already is a minority, I have felt at times that there are problems that I wanted to discuss but I just didn’t have the space to do so.”

Jogia-Sattar said the ASUC was her introduction into the greater campus community at UC Berkeley. As a freshman, Jogia-Sattar started as an intern for then-ASUC-Senator Ruchi Shah, overseeing collaborations between the ASUC And the South, Southwest Asian, North African Initiative, or SSWANA, according to Shah. 

Shah recalled her initial interview with Jogia-Sattar, noting that Jogia-Sattar had “caught her eye” with a demonstration of ambition and passion. 

“She will be groundbreaking for the South Asian community,” Shah said. “It will be interesting to see how she continues to do work she’s already been doing.”

With a distinct focus on providing spaces and support for students that may not have it, Jogia-Sattar said she pulls inspiration from forces such as Malala Yousafzai, who emphasized that people realize the power of their voices when they are most silent. 

This extends not only for minority voices in her community, she said, but all students, survivors of sexual violence and sexual harassment, LGBTQ students and anyone “traditionally” shut out from spaces for sanctuary and expression.

“I am passionate about the work I’ve done since freshman year and I’m passionate about unfinished work for the future,” Jogia-Sattar said. “These aren’t issues I’ve randomly chosen … all of my platforms are meaningful to me.”

Rehal echoed Jogia-Sattar, saying Jogia-Sattar is running for Senate not for the title, but because she “truly cares.” 

Rehal added that Jogia-Sattar is incredibly qualified and passionate. As a member of an underrepresented community within the South Asian community, Jogia-Sattar has a “deep understanding” of the issues the South Asian community faces, making her the most qualified candidate.

In addition to South Asian and minority representation in campus conversations, Jogia-Sattar said her platforms include gender equity, increasing accessibility to consulting club resources, resume building workshops and mental health. 

“My platform is personal to me,” Jogia-Sattar said. “I want to be a part of the post-COVID-19 university setting and take these issues and see what we can do about them.”

Contact Maria Young at 

MARCH 17, 2022