Best of Berkeley 2022

Illustration of the campanile with high rises and multiple-story businesses peeking out from behind
Angela Bi/Staff

It’s refreshing to celebrate superlatives in the spring, a season of new beginnings and renewal. The 2021-22 school year strikes a delicate balancing act, recuperating the past’s lost time while inching toward a hopeful future. The COVID-19 pandemic cast a spell of silence over a town known for its voice, but this year witnessed a consecration of collectivity — shared meals, shopping trips and movie dates aglow with reverent optimism.

The following details The Daily Californian’s Best of Berkeley winners for 2022, voted on by the public. This compilation serves as a guide to UC Berkeley and the city in a time when activities estranged by the pandemic finally resume. It also commemorates the memories made over the years and ushers in the promise of new ones. In applauding the essence of the city, this guide to Berkeley’s finest institutions underscores a larger, more important celebration of the Berkeley community, which is chiefly characterized by the people who make this sprawling, sundry place home.

— Maya Thompson

Best of Berkeley: Campus 2022Illustration of a stylised Hearst Mining Building from UC Berkeley's campus.

Conveniently located just above Memorial Glade, the East Asian Library is relatively accessible for students coming from all directions.

— Anne Vertin

Best of Berkeley: City 2022Illustration of Moe's bookstore.

The Berkeley Rose Garden proves to be more than just a garden, with its four tennis courts, a redwood pergola, picnic tables, hiking trails and more.

— Anyssa Torres

Best of Berkeley: Food 2022Illustration of Berkeley's popular Durant Plaza.

The smell of freshly cooked falafel wafts from beneath an inviting green awning, beckoning passers-by on Durant Street to eat at D’yar Mediterranean Cuisine — The Daily Californian’s 2022 pick for best Mediterranean food.

— Jonathan Hale