Should You Refinance Your Car Loan During Pandemic?

Pixabay/Courtesy
https://www.pexels.com/photo/green-scale-model-car-on-brown-pavement-35967/

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused a lot of uncertainty in the world. Many people wonder if they should refinance their car loan during this time. There are pros and cons to refinancing your car loan during a pandemic. Here are several things that you should consider to help you decide whether or not to refinance your car loan.

COVID-19’s Impact on Credit

The COVID-19 pandemic has caused incredible financial stress to individuals, families, companies, and businesses. This has left many companies searching for means to offer relief to consumers while still managing sales. For the financially stable, this is an excellent time to refinance a current auto loan to acquire a new one that has a more reasonable interest rate.

Refinancing may help you save money and obtain a better loan than what you took out from a lending company or a bank. Several lenders are providing consumers with outstanding refinancing alternatives with meager interest rates to win business. However, before you commit to a new auto loan, there are several things you must consider:

1. Your Current Credit Score

Refinancing may be a good option if you’re looking to reduce your monthly auto loan payments. Your ability to acquire a lower interest rate depends on several factors, including your credit score and history. If you have a strong credit history and high credit scores, you’re more likely to qualify for a lower interest rate. However, even if you don’t have perfect credit, it’s still worth considering refinancing. You may be able to get a better interest rate than what you’re currently paying. 

Even if your credit isn’t ideal, there are still options available. Many lenders offer special rates for borrowers with less-than-perfect credit. So, whether you’re looking to save some money in the bank or put a little more cash in your wallet, refinancing your auto loan could be a smart move.

1. The Interest Rate of Your Auto Loan

The interest rate you pay is critical when you finance a car. A higher interest rate means you’ll end up paying more for your car over the life of the loan. If you’re not happy with the interest rate on your current car loan, it’s good to shop around and see what other lenders are offering. Compare rates at different banks and credit unions to see if you can get a lower rate. 

Remember that the interest rate is just one factor to consider when shopping for a car loan. It would be best if you also looked at the term of the loan, the monthly payment, and any fees or charges. By shopping around and comparing offers, you can make sure you get the best deal on your car loan.

1. Your Car’s Current Value

If you’re considering refinancing your car loan, one of the most important factors to take into account is the value of your car. After all, if your car is worth less than you owe on your loan, you may owe more money than your car is worth— known as being “upside down” on your loan. 

It’s crucial to pay attention to both the value of your car and the amount you still owe on your loan. You can use online calculation tools or consult Edmunds or Kelley Blue Book to determine your car’s value. Once you have that number, you can start shopping around for rates and terms that make sense for you.

If your car’s value has decreased significantly since you first took out your loan, refinancing may not make sense. However, if you have paid down a significant portion of your loan and your car’s value has increased, refinancing could be a smart decision.

1. The Terms of Your Current Car Loan

One way to save money on your car loan is to refinance and secure a new loan with a shorter term. Suppose your original loan was in the range of five to eight years. You can potentially reduce the total amount you will pay in interest by refinancing and securing a new loan with a shorter term. This is because the shorter the term of your loan, the less interest you will accrue over the life of the loan. 

In addition, by refinancing into a shorter-term loan, you may also be able to lower your monthly payments. This could provide you with additional financial flexibility each month. It is always crucial to speak with a qualified professional to determine if refinancing is right for your situation.

1. The Period You’ve Had Your Car Loan

One of the most important factors to consider is how long you’ve had your current loan. If you’ve only been making payments for a few months, it’s unlikely that your credit score has improved enough to get a better interest rate. In fact, you may even see a slightly higher rate than what you’re currently paying. 

However, if you’ve been making on-time payments for a year or more, your credit score has probably improved enough to get a lower interest rate. If you can get a lower interest rate, refinancing can save you money over the life of the loan.

Another thing to consider is the length of time left on your loan. If you have a few years left on your loan, refinancing may not make sense. This is because you’ll likely have to pay fees to do so, and it will take you longer to recoup those costs. However, if you only have a year or two left on your loan, refinancing could save you money in the long run.

The Bottom Line

There are several things to consider when it comes to refinancing your car loan during a pandemic. Be sure to weigh the pros and cons carefully before making a decision. And, if you do decide to refinance, make sure you compare rates and terms from multiple lenders to get the best deal possible.

The Daily Californian’s editorial and newsroom staff were not involved in this advertisement’s production. For advertising and sponsorship opportunities or more information about paid content, contact [email protected]