Berkeley High School mountain bike team robbed at gunpoint

Photo of google maps
Google/Courtesy
Members of the Berkeley High School mountain bike team were robbed at gunpoint, with a van containing three bikes being stolen.

Berkeley High School’s mountain bike team was robbed at gunpoint last Saturday.

Two students on the team and three coaches were involved in the incident. No one was injured, but a van that contained three bikes was stolen, according to Berkeley Police Department spokesperson Officer Byron White.

The incident occurred at 3 p.m. on the 1600 block of Eighth Street, about three miles away from campus, White added.

The two suspects drove up behind the coach’s van, one of which was armed with a handgun. The other suspect demanded the van. The van’s driver stepped out of the vehicle out of “fear of getting hurt,” which was then driven off by one of the suspects, White said in an email.

To aid the victims of the crime and help alleviate the financial burden of replacing the bikes, the team’s head coach Nick Hoeper-Tomich has organized a fundraiser on GoFundMe.

The two students involved, Hoeper-Tomich stated, “are just kids who love to ride” and won’t be able to participate in team activities until their equipment is replaced.

More than $22,000 has been raised as of press time, surpassing the $20,000 goal. Any additional funds, the fundraiser page added, will go towards investing in GPS trackers and other safety equipment for the Berkeley High mountain bike team.

Hoeper-Tomich encourages fellow cyclists in the East Bay Area to take extra precautions when riding.

Among his suggestions are “riding with a buddy,” being aware that you may be followed if carrying bikes on a car’s bike rack, riding without headphones and purchasing a GPS tracker for equipment.

Contact Lydia Sidhom at [email protected], and follow her on Twitter at @SidhomLydia .