BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 01, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Berkeley police arrest man for multiple alleged sex crimes across East Bay

CAROLINE LOBEL | STAFF

Berkeley police have arrested a man charged with committing several alleged sex crimes across the East Bay.

|

Executive News Editor

MAY 30, 2022

Berkeley Police Department has arrested a man for a series of alleged sexual assaults in Berkeley, Oakland and Albany, according to a BPD community announcement.

Tommy Giles Jr. was identified and charged with multiple counts including sexual battery, kidnapping and indecent exposure, all of which contain additional enhancements due to the use of weaponry. The announcement said Giles Jr. was arrested May 24 through a collaborative effort between multiple agencies.

BPD noted that Giles Jr. allegedly assaulted five victims ranging from nine to 60 years old. Multiple survivors were reportedly kidnapped and assaulted while walking on the streets of Berkeley, Oakland and Albany.

“Although Giles Jr. has been placed under arrest, the Berkeley Police Department would like to encourage any additional potential victims to contact Berkley Police Department Sex Crimes Unit at (510) 981-5735 or their respective police agency in the city, in which the crime occurred if they have a crime that has not been reported to police involving this same suspect,” the announcement reads.

Matt Brown is the executive news editor. Contact him at [email protected], and follow him on Twitter at @maattttbrown.

MAY 30, 2022