Songs that would save you from Vecna on ‘Stranger Things’

photo of stranger things
Netflix/Courtesy

After four long years of waiting, “Stranger Things” has finally released a new season. You may have recently binge-watched all of the new episodes. You may have also noticed the killer soundtrack. Have you ever thought about which songs would be playing when you’re playing D&D with the Hellfire Club?  When skating at Rink-O-Mania or cheering on your team at a Hawkins High pep rally? I know I have! So, here’s the Daily Clog’s “Stranger Things” Season Four playlist you can listen to. 

“Everybody Wants to Rule the World,” Tears for Fears

This is an iconic song from the ’80s that fits perfectly with the series. Like the song, this show has sweet moments that are intertwined in a series that has a gory premise. This tune also pairs well with how optimistic the Hawkins kids are — especially when fighting demons together year after year. 

“Head Over Heels,” The Go-Go’s 

From a girl group that screams ’80s, “Head Over Heels” captures that energy of being a teenager in 1986 like no other. We could definitely picture El listening to this while writing one of her many love letters to Mike. Both independent yet a hopeless romantic at the same time. Max would definitely roll her eyes at this song, though. 

“Thunderstruck,” AC/DC

“Thunderstruck” would make a quintessential theme song for a D&D tournament with the Hellfire Club. I mean, it totally fits Eddie Munson’s vibe. It’s also the best song to make anyone headbang with its sick guitar riffs. Don’t forget to grab a jean jacket and some silver ring jewelry to make for a true Munson experience. 

“Girls Just Want to Have Fun,” Cyndi Lauper 

This song was destined to play at Rink-O-Mania. Cyndi Lauper is one of the most well-known artists of the ’80s. Some of her songs have already been used in the official soundtrack for other seasons, thus making it even more fitting that we include this gem. Cue the montage of Max and El slowly becoming besties!

“Take on Me,” A-ha

“Take on Me” is the perfect song for this time period. It also fits really well with Mike and El’s relationship at this point in the series with their forced separation. Ah, young love. 

“Hells Bells,” AC/DC

This is exactly the type of song we could imagine playing while the Hawkins kids are preparing to fight yet another horrific monster that has escaped the Upside Down. This song starts with some of the eeriest sound effects while the guitar slowly leads up to a badass classic rock song. Such a classic is needed to accompany such amazing characters. 

“Three Little Birds,” Bob Marley

Like the song “Pass the Dutchie” by Musical Youth Pass included in the original soundtrack, we could definitely see the lovable stoner Argyle playing this in his van. Perhaps it will cause yet another eye roll from Will.

“(Don’t Fear) The Reaper,” Blue Öyster Cult

This season of “Stranger Things” showed a lot of gruesome deaths. This song matches the grim vibes of this season in a psychedelic and dark way.

“The Final Countdown,” Europe

Let’s admit it, this recent season of “Stranger Things” is a smidge more gruesome than prior seasons, making “The Final Countdown” perfect for this playlist. We say this as things are starting to go really south for Hawkins.

“Running Up that Hill,” Kate Bush

Although we admittedly wanted to exclude this song because it’s part of the original soundtrack, it would be a disgrace to not include it. For obvious reasons, this song fits perfectly into Season Four and paired perfectly with Max’s iconic scene. Don’t worry, no spoilers!

Now, if you happen to randomly see a grandfather clock in front of you, cue up this playlist and you are sure to be saved by these ’80s hits.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/079dtyeZL4puQNhXAqZnlu?si=d9cb75d72a4d4ad8

Contact Samantha Herrera at [email protected].