How to Save Money With a Cheap Auto Transporter

Today, a local move can cost anywhere between $240 to $1,200. And that’s only counting the major factors as well!

There’s a good chance your move will be much more expensive, so you’ll want to keep costs down. One way to do so is to use a cheap auto transporter to ship your vehicle.

There are some unscrupulous companies out there though, and choosing the wrong one can be a real headache. Not to mention, it can cost you more in the long run!

To help you out, we’ve got a guide on how to save money with affordable car shipping service.  So, read on to find out more!

How to Choose a Cheap Auto Transporter

Just because you want to use a cheap car shipper doesn’t necessarily mean you need to settle for something mediocre. There are affordable and reputable businesses out there; you just have to have a discerning eye.

Here’s what to look for and what to do.

Registration and License

Car shipping companies can only legally operate if they’re registered with the US Department of Transportation (US DOT). So one of the first things you should do is ask for this registration number. You should definitely avoid using any company that can’t provide you with a valid one.

After you’ve requested and received the number, check it on US DOT’s database. If there’s a clean record, then that’s definitely a business to put on your shortlist!

Good Reviews

The easiest way to tell if a business is worth your time is to see what previous customers have to say. The good news is, you can easily access hundreds of reviews by just Googling them!

Try filtering by both the best and worst reviews to get a feel for the company’s strengths and weaknesses. Take note of when these reviews were made; have they made improvements, or have they slid back in quality of service?

Needless to say, don’t use auto transporters who are inundated with bad reviews.

If they don’t have any reviews, you should also cross them off the list. Either they’re brand new or their previous business was so bad, they’ve had to start over. Regardless, you’ll want to pick someone with years of experience and consistently good service!

How to Save Money on Shipping a Car

Now that you know how to separate the bad from the good, you’re ready to make your final decision. Here’s how to save even more!

Open Hauler Transport

Open haulers are the cheaper option, the other being enclosed. You’ll find plenty of drivers, so you can get good pickup/dropoff times and competitive prices.

However, if you’ve got a classic or luxury car, you should spend a little more on enclosed shipping. This will protect your vehicle from prying eyes, as well as inclement weather that can cause damage.

Do note that there are fewer enclosed trailer truckers, so you might have to search a bit harder to get someone who suits your needs.

Economy or Standard Shipping

If you don’t need your car right away, then choose economy or standard shipping. This will push your vehicle down on the priority list and enable the trucker to pick up and drop off more along the way, so the savings are passed onto you.

Expedited shipping will cost a good deal since car shippers provide same-day or next-day pickup services. It’s best used if your other options have fallen through and/or you need your car pronto.

Time of Year

If you’re very flexible on when you receive your vehicle, then consider the time of year. The most cost-effective way to ship a car is during off-seasons like spring and fall. It’ll cost just a fraction of what you’d pay in summer, which is the busiest season!

Winter’s also not a good time since there’s not much daylight and road conditions are more hazardous. This means drivers are much slower and can’t take on as many customers. They’ll also take the holidays off and will have to catch up with the backlog in the new year.

Terminal Shipping

Admittedly, door-to-door auto transport is much more convenient. You don’t have to go anywhere and the driver comes to you! However, this does come at a price.

If you’re willing to sacrifice some convenience, then opt for terminal shipping instead. Your car will be picked up and delivered at terminals in major metropolitan areas, which means you have to drive a little each way. But this can shave a couple of hundred dollars off your shipping price!

Multiple Quotes

Ultimately, requesting multiple quotes is what will help you find the most affordable car transporter. With several estimates in hand, you can get a general picture of what an acceptable price is.

You can then eliminate the cheapest and most expensive companies, as these are likely to be either too good to be true or too expensive. From there, you can compare the services offered and what available times you can choose. And then you’ll have a cheap car shipper you can count on!

Save Money by Getting the Best Deal on Shipping a Car

Getting a cheap auto transporter who’s also reliable isn’t an easy feat, but it’s doable. Make sure you go through everything with a fine-tooth comb and explore your options thoroughly before making a decision.

Taking some extra time to scrutinize your options will pay off in the end. So do your due diligence to reduce the cost of shipping a car!

Keep reading our blog page if you’d like to learn more interesting information!

My name is George Arkin. I own and operate Nexus Auto Transport — one of the top automobile transport companies in the United States. We specialize in cross-country vehicle shipping solutions with the State of California, Charleston, and the entire East Coast, serving as crucial pivot points for our month-to-month bottom line.

The Daily Californian’s editorial and newsroom staff were not involved in this advertisement’s production. For advertising and sponsorship opportunities or more information about paid content, contact [email protected]