It’s okay to be a homebody this summer

illustration of a living space
Sarah Pi/File

Scrolling through Instagram during the summer can be hard. With people traveling or going on seemingly endless weekend getaways, it’s normal to feel left out. Honestly though, being a homebody can be just as fun. In fact, being home doesn’t make your summer experience any less important.

Lately I’ve noticed that even though I make an effort to go out with groups of friends and meet people, I always end up socially drained by the end of the day. I’m much more comfortable hanging out with one close friend or even just being alone. This is something that I’ve come to accept as completely normal, but even as an introvert, it took some getting used to.

Everyone has their definition of what’s fun, after all. So, if you enjoy working on a new hobby instead of going out, that doesn’t make your summer boring (despite what popular opinion has to say). Focusing on yourself and your own personal improvement is also important. I’d even argue that it’s crucial. At the end of the day, the only person you have is yourself, right?

This is actually something many people have yet to master in college: Loving yourself and your own company. So let’s start today.

It’s essential to acknowledge what you love about spending time at home, instead of giving in to the fear of missing out. Ah, FOMO — the common emotion felt by our generation. Even if you’re more of an involuntary homebody over the summer who can’t afford a vacation, staying home shouldn’t be viewed as negative. All it takes is some perspective! You’ve been given the time to focus on yourself instead of others. Is there a skill you have always wanted to learn? Perhaps there’s something you’ve never had the time or opportunity to do? Appreciate this newfound leisure that has been bestowed upon you. 

With adjusting to in-person classes and living on campus for the first time in a while, this past school year has been arduous for most of us, making some self-care and alone time absolutely worthwhile right now. 

Place an emphasis on your mental health more and take the time to readjust before the start of yet another grueling school year. Take little steps toward the goals you want to make — even waking up 10 minutes earlier than usual can make the difference. Now’s the time to fix that stereotypically awful sleep schedule from college habits, too. 

So, the next time you’re scrolling through social media and see yet another post from an acquaintance going out of town, I hope you can acknowledge that your summer isn’t boring. You are just spending some quality time with one of the most important people in your life: you.

Contact Samantha Herrera at [email protected].