BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

Perks of public libraries

DAVID MCALLISTER | FILE

JULY 18, 2022

This summer, my goal was to take a trip to my local library. I don’t really know what sparked it, but I felt a strong urge to wander through the high stacks of books, and pick a few to read. After walking downtown and signing up for a Berkeley Public Library card, I felt overjoyed at having a plethora of books to pick from. Now that I’ve been going to the library for a few months, I’ve found that it is extremely beneficial for my wallet, my mental health and even the planet. So, here are some reasons why I love the public library and think you will too.

The vibes

One of my favorite things about going to the library is how comfortable it feels sitting among the books and reading in the giant leather chairs. I love the feeling of being surrounded by so many options to read.

Additionally, the peaceful environment is a great change from the bustling city outside. I love getting to take a couple hours of quiet time and read in a relaxing setting.

Free books

As a college student, I am always looking for ways to save money, such as making coffee at home, cooking dinner and taking the bus. This is why borrowing books from the library has been my go-to activity this summer. Whether it’s a popular book I’ve been waiting months to read or something I just found while perusing the aisles, there is no shortage of books to take home with me.

I’ve saved so much by not buying every book I want to read, and I’ve been encouraged to read more since I’m not spending money. Overall, both my bank account and mind are thanking me for this decision.

Sustainability 

As much as I love the feeling of buying a new book, constantly purchasing something I’ll read only a few times isn’t the most sustainable choice. Borrowing a book from the library guarantees that what you’re reading is being used by many. Before buying a book, check it out from the library and see if it’s something you’d want to have your own copy of. This way we’re wasting a little bit less paper and doing something small for the environment.

The bookstore

If you are wanting to purchase your books, most libraries have an adjoined second hand bookstore! Step inside to find many books that only cost a few dollars. This is a great way to find a surprising new read, and grow your book collection. And, by buying secondhand you’re both saving some money and doing good for the planet. Additionally, if you find you have too many books you don’t read anymore, consider donating them so they can be loved by someone new!

I hope these reasons inspire you to check out your local library. I’ve loved getting to enjoy the books and comfort of the public library this summer, and I’m sure you will too!

Contact Maya Romero at 

JULY 18, 2022