BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

CA Gov. Newsom declares state of emergency for monkeypox outbreak

GAGE SKIDMORE | CREATIVE COMMONS

(Photo by Gage Skidmore under CC BY-SA 2.0)

AUGUST 01, 2022

California Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency Monday to support the state’s vaccination efforts against the monkeypox virus.

According to a press release from Newsom’s office, the proclamation allows emergency medical services personnel to administer monkeypox vaccines approved by the Food and Drug Administration and coordinate a “whole-of-government response” to the virus.

As of press time, California has distributed more than 25,000 monkeypox vaccine doses and has received more than 61,000. The state is currently processing more than 1,000 tests a week for monkeypox, according to the press release.

“California is working urgently across all levels of government to slow the spread of monkeypox, leveraging our robust testing, contact tracing and community partnerships strengthened during the pandemic to ensure that those most at risk are our focus for vaccines, treatment and outreach,” Newsom said in the press release.

Contact Riley Cooke at  or on Twitter

AUGUST 02, 2022