BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 29, 2023

Apply to The Daily Californian by September 8th!

How a perfect playlist helps you study

NISHALI NAIK | FILE

AUGUST 02, 2022

It’s 1 a.m., the night before my midterm paper worth 40% of my grade is due. Scrolling through the endless playlists on Spotify, I find the perfect playlist. Filled with adrenaline and good vibes, I am more productive than I’ve been in a while. I finally feel good about turning in my paper. 

Talking with other students, I was surprised to find out this is a common experience. Which made me wonder, what makes music so helpful when it comes to studying? Thankfully, the Daily Clog has some answers. 

Puts you in a better mood

Let’s face it, studying can suck, especially when it comes to a difficult topic. If you add some of your favorite music in the background, whether it is energetic pop or soothing classical, it helps you forget your worries and get to studying. 

It’s also more fun and exciting to study with music, making you want to spend more time cramming for that midterm. When you’re spending time listening to music you love, you are much happier. I mean, who wouldn’t want Harry Styles as a study buddy? 

Helps you stay motivated

Listening to your favorite tunes can help push you to finish your next hour of studying. When you listen to music, your brain releases dopamine, a chemical that increases your motivation and helps your goal-oriented mindset.

So, if you have ever hit a slump in your studying, cue up some music to keep you going. You can also look for playlists that last the same amount of time as the time you’re planning on studying. That way, you aren’t constantly checking your phone and getting distracted. 

Improves your concentration 

Music blocks out the unwanted distractions, such as your roommate talking on the phone right next to you, allowing you to focus on what you need to get done. It also engages your brain and makes sure you don’t fall asleep when you’re reviewing late at night. When you’re alert, the tasks at hand can seem more manageable. 

For some, listening to music with lyrics can be a bit distracting, so it’s best to find what works best for you when it comes to studying. For me, I prefer to listen to music with lyrics since it gives me something to listen to besides instrumentals. As a plus, it helps me stay awake. 

Helps your anxiety

As college students, we are often stressed. Thankfully, the music in your ears gives you something else to focus on besides the looming deadlines and upcoming exams. 

Listening to music helps lower your blood pressure and your stress levels as a result. It can also help you think of the fond memories you’ve had with that song in the past, helping you remember that there’s more to life than your upcoming quiz score. Next time you feel like you’re going to pull your hair out, putting on a playlist can help you calm down and be more optimistic while studying. 

Now, when you pull out your flashcards to study, remember to pull up your favorite playlist!

Contact Samantha Herrera at [email protected].

AUGUST 02, 2022