BERKELEY'S NEWS • NOVEMBER 27, 2022

Take a look at our 2022 midterm elections special issue!

Playlist of songs from angsty women

1388843 | CREATIVE COMMONS

(Photo by 1388843 under Pixabay License)

AUGUST 05, 2022

Tired of crying to songs written from the male perspective? Need some new music to back your angry, late-night drives? Want more women in your rock? Well, then, look no further. The following playlist is full of angsty, tragic and beautiful songs written or sung by women, perfect for jamming out!

“Under the Table” by Fiona Apple

This Fiona Apple song from her latest album, Fetch the Bolt Cutters, is one of the best songs to listen to while I’m angrily reminiscing about past arguments. It contains one of my favorite lyrics of all time, “I would beg to disagree, but begging disagrees with me,” a line that’s been popular on TikTok for a little while now. 

The seething anger the song portrays comes from an experience that many will be able to relate to. It involves the narrator at a dinner table, loudly disagreeing with the hosts despite her partner’s insistence to save face. She rejects the expectation that she will let herself be trampled upon by the men around her. This song is incredibly powerful and will get you ready to stand up for yourself. 

“Townie” by Mitski

Mitski probably has songs that are more angsty than this, but, in times of frustration, I always find myself coming back to this one. It feels triumphant, but with undertones of stress and anger. In this song, she is rebellious and self-destructive, caught up in youthful fatalism. This is a great one to blast from a car radio while shaking your hands in the air, signaling both celebration and outrage. 

“You Oughta Know” by Alanis Morrissette

“Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned,” as the saying goes. Morrissette honors that catchphrase with her song “You Oughta Know, ”which details the outrage the singer feels towards her former lover, who has rapidly forgotten about her and replaced her with another woman. Despite the man’s promises of loving her forever and her giving her best effort, he doesn’t, and never has, valued her. The song is likely based on the two-year relationship between the singer and actor Dave Coulier, who was in his thirties when he was dating 18-year-old Morrissette, though Morrissette has never officially confirmed the rumors. 

“Paroles, paroles” Dalida featuring Alain Delon

Oh, men and their lies. That’s what this song is all about. The song was originally released by Italian singer Mina Mazzini and actor Alberto Lupo, but the most recognizable version is by French singer Dalida, featuring actor Alain Delon. In it, Delon tries to sweet-talk Dalida, promising “bonbons et chocolats,” but Dalida responds by saying it’s all “paroles, paroles,” or “words, words.” While less rock-y than the other songs, it portrays a deep sense of frustration and has beautifully impactful vocals.

“I Just Threw Out the Love of my Dreams” by Weezer

A Weezer song, I know. But this one is sung by Rachel Haden — the only song in their discography to feature a female lead vocalist. The underlying anxiety of this song spoke to me. I’m not entirely sure of the true meaning of the song, but it feels like the singer has just lost her boyfriend through her own poor actions, or that she has just separated from him, despite still being in love. Either way, the emotion in this song is subtly impactful. The themes of obsession, lost love and sadness will appeal to many.

“Rage” by Rico Nasty

Rico Nasty is one of my favorite artists to bump into my headphones while I’m storming around town or trying to work on my revenge muscles. And, just like the title says, this one is about rage. While anger may be a better descriptor of this song than angst, I still thought it would make a great addition to this playlist. 

“Becky” by Be Your Own Pet

Want to enter the mind of a girl so upset about her former best friend’s betrayal that she ends up getting charged with teenage homicide? Spoiler, sorry. Well, then, do I have the song for you. Becky is a great song for when the people in your life are being immature and your social complications start to feel like high school all over again. 

Now get ready to block their number, turn on some tunes, and dance the sadness away. Embrace the feminine pain and rage, and go out and raise hell!

Contact Lauren von Aspen at 

AUGUST 05, 2022