BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 01, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Many UC Berkeley students report Clipper cards have stopped working

GAVIN SAGASTUME | STAFF

SEPTEMBER 08, 2022

Many UC Berkeley students have reported that their Clipper cards have stopped working, affecting their ability to travel to and from campus.

According to Seamus Wilmot, assistant vice chancellor and executive director of business operations campus has been working with the Cal 1 Card office and Student Affairs IT to solve the overall problem.

“We apologize for the disruption of your Student EasyPass,” Wilmot said in an email. “In the meantime we have been dealing with students individually and providing replacement cards if theirs is not working.”

Along with replacement cards, Wilmot added that UC Berkeley will reimburse students whose personal funds were charged on AC Transit.

However, due to a high volume of students with Clipper card issues, campus’s parking and transportation office has had to turn people away, according to Wilmot.

Campus sophomore Rachel Perez said she and many others have faced similar problems with their EasyPass.

“Some people I know said they went and the line was so long that they had to leave,” Perez said. “Another person said that even though they were able to meet with someone there, when they left their card still wasn’t working.”

Perez reported that another friend had funds on her Clipper card in order to take BART, but found that $23 had been spent on AC Transit.

Campus junior Cecilia Lunaparra had a similar issue, discovering her card stopped working Sept. 1. After riding the bus around Oakland on AC transit, she noticed a $10 charge on her Clipper card.

“I’m an urban studies major, so societally I think it’s great to take public transportation,” Lunaparra said. “It was pretty frustrating and upsetting because I lost $10.”

Lunaparra also noticed that the same issue occurred* Sept. 1 of last year, when UC Berkeley told her the issue was “pandemic-related.”

Doctoral student Leen Arnaout said she feels UC Berkeley hasn’t done enough to resolve the problem. She reported that, along with other graduate students, she faced a financial burden from the Clipper card issue.

“I’ve been heavily impacted by it, and so have my friends in the bioengineering [PhD] graduate program,” Arnaout said in an email. “We rely heavily on AC transit to go to the lab and work and especially since we missed our stipend payment for this month, this hindered us both in terms of research and finances.”

According to an alert on the campus parking and transportation website, the issue is due to an “IT transactional error” that has caused students to lose the EasyPass benefit.

A Metropolitan Transportation Commission spokesperson John Goodwin said the BayPass integration team and campus’s parking and transportation department are currently investigating the issue.

Contact Olivia Branan at [email protected], and follow her on Twitter at @BrananOlivia.

SEPTEMBER 08, 2022