BERKELEY'S NEWS • OCTOBER 01, 2022

4 psychological thrillers you need to read

NICK QUINLAN | SENIOR STAFF

SEPTEMBER 20, 2022

With endless required readings constantly assigned to us, reading for pleasure is often the last thing on our minds. One of the best ways to work through this inevitable reading hump is finding a book that hooks you right from the start. Psychological thrillers are the perfect genre for this. With twists and turns on every page, these mind-boggling books are sure to keep you enthralled. If you’ve been looking for a good psychological read but can’t seem to find one that sparks your interest, The Daily Clog is here to help. We’ve compiled some of our favorites into this must-read list that is sure to keep you busy all semester.

“The Last Mrs. Parrish”

This book is truly one of a kind. From the very first page it’s apparent that our narrator is a complex person with haunting goals. Amber, the main character, works through her devious plans, and secrets unravel resulting in the reader constantly left in shock. Unlike other books, you get a firsthand look into the brain of our villainous main character and the wicked way her mind works. You’re sure to be up all night reading this thriller and wanting to know what happens next to these well-developed and dynamic characters.

“The Silent Patient”

This book left us thinking about it for days. With time hops, secrets and subtle clues throughout the novel, this story is one that will make you want to read it again and again. It’s told by a psychotherapist trying to discover what led a famous, mute painter to kill her husband. As a result, you’ll feel every emotion right besides these characters. As the different people try and sort out their confusing stories, the readers are also doing the same. It’s almost like the reader is puzzling pieces together alongside the characters. If you’re looking for a book that will linger on your mind, this is the perfect option for you.

“The Disappearing Act”

Glitz, glamor and missing people are just some highlights of this novel. Set in sunny Hollywood, this book has characters and readers alike questioning their sanity. When the main character, Mia, meets a fellow actress who suddenly goes missing, no one believes her.  She’s left in attempt to solve the mystery herself in the end. With extremely likeable characters and secrets that are just waiting to unfold, you won’t want to put this one down.

“Survive the Night”

If you’re looking for a book filled with shocking twists and revelations at every corner, this one’s for you. As the main character tries to work through her best friend’s murder and deal with her own trauma, she’s busy with possible murderers, strangers and surprising friends. This fast paced novel has you guessing at every page and will leave you trusting no one. Dive into this thriller that will keep you on your toes! 

Whichever thriller you choose you’re sure to be enraptured from page one. Make sure to check out the content warnings for reach book before deciding which is best for you. Happy reading and good luck trying to put any of these popular reads  down!

Contact Maya Romero at 

SEPTEMBER 20, 2022