BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 25, 2022

Cal confronts Cardinal: Prevail or fail?

LISI LUDWIG | SENIOR STAFF

SEPTEMBER 21, 2022

Grit: firmness of mind or spirit, an unyielding courage in the face of hardship or danger. People who display grit are the utmost terrifying yet inspiring specimen. These are the people we look up to, admire from a distance and attempt to imitate. If there is one thing that Cal volleyball has, it’s grit. This season has displayed that so beautifully so far. 

Heading into the Pac-12 conference matches, Cal stands at a colossal record of 7-3. Not to mention some impressive numbers already being reached: Lydia Grote with 158 kills, Tara DeSa with 166 digs, Annalea Maeder with 325 assists and Mikayla Hayden with 49 blocks. Time will only tell for sure what’s in store for the fans, but hopes are definitely high. Looking ahead, Cal prepares to face teams that will test its limits — but more importantly, its grit. 

A sturdy Bear formulates a loud roar as its next opponent is a rather unfriendly yet familiar face. Cal looks to claim a victory over a cardinal red Stanford on the evening of Wednesday, Sept. 21. Fasten your seatbelts and brace yourselves. With Cal having claimed victories over teams such as UC Davis, Tennessee State and San Diego State, a blue and gold Bear is more than ready to face a burning red cardinal. 

Team leaders, such as Grote, DeSa and Meader, will have to continue to put to practice these leadership skills if a triumph is anywhere in their plan. Looking at the crimson roster, names such as Kendall Kip with 122 kills and 13 service aces, Elena Oglivie with 109 digs and Kami Miner with 318 assists are sure to cause trouble for a blue and gold force. Stanford is coming into this match with a 5-3 record, having fallen to No. 1 Texas, No. 3 Louisville and No. 20 Penn State.

Stanford is no stranger to grit, it is hard to say which way the game will sway. While Stanford stands on a 5-3 record compared to Cal’s 7-3, it is important to keep in mind the impressive programs the Cardinal fell to, and the fact that there were no easy defeats. 

One thing is certain though: A red victory won’t be sealed without a blue and gold display. 

The following Friday Cal will face none other than the Oregon State Beavers. With a 5-5 record so far this season, fans can expect a hungry Beaver looking to add wins to its record. Team leaders on the Oregon side who are sure to test a blue and gold team include Mychael Vernon with 108 kills, Ryan White with 110 digs and Aliyah McDonald with 36.0 blocks this season alone. 

Fans can expect a high intensity match between the Beavers and the Bears with high expectations of a blue and gold victorious celebration in the end. 

Will Cal continue a blue and gold display of grit to add two more wins to its already impressive 7-3 record? A Cardinal and a Beaver will have to play excellent volleyball to prevent this.

Contact Jose Rivera at 

SEPTEMBER 21, 2022