BERKELEY'S NEWS • JANUARY 17, 2023

Year! Review! Read our 2022 Year in Retrospect Issue!

Cal falls to UCLA in front of sold-out crowd

SEPTEMBER 26, 2022

After maintaining an eight-match unbeaten streak, the Bears fell 4-2 during the first Pac-12 conference match against No. 1 UCLA. Fans certainly showed up and showed out — the Bears and Bruins battled it out in front of a sold-out stadium, filled with 2,237 people.w

Cal became the first team to score more than one goal against the Bruins this season. On the reverse, UCLA also became the first team to score more than one goal against the Bears during their regular season.

Not only did the Bruins put an end to the Bears’ unbeaten streak, but they also snapped Cal’s four-game shutout streak minutes before the team could reach 400-straight shutout minutes. UCLA is now the only NCAA Division I women’s soccer team with a perfect record, and is possibly on track to earn its third-consecutive Pac-12 title.

Cal took the lead early on during the 21st minute when sophomore Karlie Lema scored the first goal, her second of the season.. This start marked the first time UCLA has trailed in a match since the Bruins played against then-No. 1 North Carolina in September. Lema was assisted by Ayo Oke and Noelle Bond-Flasza — the two leaders in assists for the season so far.

However, the Bruins did not let the Bears keep the lead for long as graduate-student midfielder Maricarmen Reyes scored three minutes later. Reyes did not stop there, adding a second goal for UCLA in the 32nd minute to tie her all-time season high.

Reyes’ goal came right after a free kick from a yellow card that was pulled on Courtney Boone. This is Boone’s second yellow card of the season; her first came during a game against UC San Diego. The sophomore also received a red card during Cal’s match against Fullerton earlier this season.

The Bruins scored once more as forward Ally Cook found the net in the 58th minute. The Bears did manage to rebound slightly, as Keely Roy shot a penalty in the 61st minute, which brought the score to a slightly less comfortable 3-2 for the Bruins. Roy continues to lead the team in goals, now with four under her belt.

The Bruins hoped to score with a penalty kick of their own just five minutes after, but Cal goalkeeper Angelina Anderson pulled off a spectacular dive to save the ball. UCLA scored its final goal of the game in the 83rd minute, this time courtesy of freshman Bridgette Marin-Valencia. This marks the young player’s first goal for the Bruins — and, consequently, her first collegiate goal.

The Bruins dominated the game in shots, outshooting Cal 20-6. Earlier in the season, Cal had managed to outshoot the majority of its opponents, with the exception of Pepperdine. UCLA now adds its name to that list, hampering a stellar record for the Bears. With six saves compared to UCLA’s one, Anderson proved her strength — but so did UCLA’s offense.

Moving forward, the Bears are focused on their next opponent: the Arizona State Sun Devils. The two will meet Sept. 29, with Cal attempting to once again snatch the win following its 1-0 defeat of the Devils last year.

Contact Jovana Camberos at 

SEPTEMBER 26, 2022