BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 02, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Bears maul Cougars, Huskies 2-1

TIMOTHY DAWSON | STAFF

OCTOBER 11, 2022

The Bears are back! 

After hitting a bump in the road and falling twice against No. 1 UCLA and Arizona State, Cal acquired two consecutive wins against Washington State and the University of Washington. Marking Cal’s first win against both schools after two seasons of defeat, the Bears pulled off an impressive display of teamwork and confidence while playing against the Pacific Northwest schools.

Cal battled it out against the Washington State Cougars on Oct. 6 in a match that culminated in a final score of 2-1. The Bears took the lead early on as the powerful pair of Keely Roy and Ayo Oke struck again in the 10th minute as Oke assisted Roy in nailing in the first goal of the match. Oke’s assist marked her fifth this season, moving her up into the conference’s top five. 

As the game progressed, Oke was taken down by Cougar defender Reese Tappan, opening up another opportunity for the blue and gold to convert a penalty kick. Roy quickly took up the shot and did not let her team down, as she pushed Cal’s lead even further and sealed in her fourth penalty kick conversion of the season.

With 80 seconds left in the game, it seemed futile for the Cougars to even try to turn the game around — but that did not stop forward Brianna McReynolds from hunting down a last minute goal to snap the Bears’ chances of adding on another shutout to their season. 

Alas, the Cougars’ efforts were not enough for them to climb over the Bears, as the match finished and Cal stood victorious, spoiling the Cougars’ 10-match unbeaten streak and their first loss of conference play.

The Bears had no time to lose as they tackled the University of Washington Huskies three days later to rack up their winning streak to three, as the Bears defeated the Dawgs 2-1. 

History repeated itself as forward Summer Yates struck again, putting the Huskies in the lead in the 25th minute and scoring the only goal for the University of Washington. Yates was the only player to score for the Huskies last season when the Bears fell 0-1. 

A series of spectacular events unfolded shortly after that showcased the talented players that make up this season’s roster for Cal. Junior Hannah Cooper unleashed a wicked shot to score her first career goal in the 42nd minute after sophomore Ari Manrique passed the ball perfectly toward Cooper to score an equalizer four minutes before halftime. 

The Bears didn’t settle there, as they pushed forward until they found the shot that would place them in the lead in the 58th minute. 

The dynamic duo of Karlie Lema and Roy did it again as Lema beat her defender and passed the ball to Pac-12 legend Roy, who dinked a shot into the net to mark the game-winning goal and start up an uproar of cheers from the crowd. Roy is now fifth in the Pac-12 in goals scored with eight goals. 

Once the Huskies felt their chances of winning slipping away, they started to amp up the pressure, and almost acquired an equalizer in the 74th minute when Angelina Anderson came running out to stop a goal, leaving the goal post defenseless. The ball fell straight to McKenzie Weinert, but defender Sydney Collins came in clutch as she swatted the ball away to safeguard Cal’s 2-1 lead. As the Huskies continued to search for an equalizer the time ran out, leaving the Bears on top. 

As Cal prepares for its match against No. 8 USC on Oct. 14, coach Neil McGuire emphasizes that Cal’s “possession needs to be crisper, (their) ability to test backspace needs to be more consistent and (their) poise needs to improve over the course of 90 minutes.”

In the end, McGuire is very proud of the players, and stated “this is a wonderful conference full of talented players.”

Jovana Camberos covers women’s soccer. Contact her at [email protected].

OCTOBER 14, 2022