BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 01, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Clog Report: Students' thoughts while walking through sproul

OWEN MARK | STAFF

NOVEMBER 15, 2022

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be a cow in a herd? Well, that’s what walking through Sproul Plaza feels like. Known as the hub of campus activity, Sproul Plaza is a place where you’ll surely be bumped into, overstimulated and bombarded with fliers in your face. The combination of crowding and loud noise on Sproul might just make you think about something other than how you should’ve studied for your exam instead of watching TikTok videos all night. If you have ever wondered what goes on in a typical student’s mind while walking through Sproul, the Clog has got you covered. 

“What’s going on?”

Whether it’s someone shouting controversial rhetoric through a bullhorn, a musical performance or a crowd of people gathering near the steps of Upper Sproul, there’s always something happening on Sproul. Is it a strike? Free merch giveaway? Surprise Oski appearance? Impromptu acapella performance? I guess the only way to find out is to push through the jostling bodies to get a front row view. Or you could ask someone, if you want to take the respectful route. 

“Can this person walk any slower?”

It would be much appreciated if there was a steady flow of traffic along Sproul. However, you’re bound to get stuck behind a slow walker who’s on their phone and not paying attention to where they’re going or the person in front of you who abruptly stops in their tracks to talk to a friend. It’s times like these that you probably wish you had an electric scooter.

“How do I look busy so I don’t get approached by students tabling?”

No day is ever complete without the many clubs tabling along Sproul that hand out fliers or entice you with food. Now is the time where you whip out your phone and open the calculator or settings app to make it seem like you’re busy answering an important text or email, only so that you don’t get approached with a flier. 

“They’re really good at playing piano.” 

Who could forget the piano that sits in the corner of the Student Union? When your AirPods or headphones aren’t in, you probably hear talented pianists playing songs that bless your eardrums. Perhaps the melodies stir up nostalgia within you that makes you wish you never quit piano classes as a child. 

“Who is that man?”

The true stars of Sproul are the various men who come to campus simply to hula hoop, preach about religion, argue about abortion rights or show off their unique fashion taste and chat. You probably have wondered who they are, where they come from and what they’re doing here. Regardless, they always seem to be having a good time and that’s what matters at the end of the day.

No matter where you’re heading, Sproul is a great place to walk through simply for the vibes. Think of Sproul as a surprise everyday. You’ll never know who you’ll meet, what you’ll see or even what you’ll hear. Plus, it’s the place to be if you are nosy and want all the campus tea.

Contact Sophie Ward at 

NOVEMBER 15, 2022