BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 01, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Mudslides force evacuations, close facilities around Berkeley

MEGHNATH DEY | STAFF

JANUARY 16, 2023

Two mudslides were reported in Berkeley by police early this morning.

The first occurred in North Berkeley near the area bounded by Middlefield Road, Wildcat Canyon Road and The Spiral, according to a press release by the Berkeley Police Department at 8:11 a.m.

The press release states that the three roads have been closed, along with the strip of Wildcat Canyon Road between Sunset Lane and Park Hills Road.

BPD has notified and evacuated several residents, though an updated press release from 10:05 a.m. says that additional evacuations are not anticipated as of now. BPD advises residents to stay vigilant and avoid travel to the area while responders work to assess and contain damage.

A second mudslide occurred at Sports Lane on Clark Kerr Campus, according to a UC Berkeley WarnMe report released at 8:25 a.m.

The picture provided by campus places the mudslide at an area of Sports Lane between the Clark Kerr Track and the Golden Bear Tennis Courts.

The report states to avoid the area until further notice. Furthermore, the Golden Bear Rec Center and surrounding pool, track, multi-sport courts and softball field are closed for the remainder of today, according to an 11:01 a.m. update from Berkeley Rec Sports.

Please check back for updates. This is an evolving story.

Contact Ratul Mangal at 

JANUARY 16, 2023