BERKELEY'S NEWS • FEBRUARY 01, 2023

Ring in the New Year with our 2023 New Year's Special Issue!

Power ranking 5 adulting activities

JONATHAN HALE | SENIOR STAFF

JANUARY 25, 2023

Let’s face it — adulting is hard. Whether it’s learning to cook your own meals or scheduling your own doctor’s appointments, adulthood requires independence, and you’ll probably find yourself crying on the phone to your mom begging to come back home at times. We at the Clog hear you, so without further ado, here’s our power ranking of adulting activities. 

Grocery shopping: 8/10

I’m sure we’ve all experienced the phenomenon coming home after a long day of work or school to find the fridge empty. That can only mean one thing: it’s time for a grocery shopping trip. It’s at times like these where you wish your family’s home cooked meals could magically appear in front of your eyes. While it’s not the largest inconvenience, grocery shopping does take time and thought on your part, and not to mention the arm strength you’ll need to carry them. At least you can pick out all the junk food you want.

Scheduling appointments: 2/10

Picking up your phone and calling the dentist or doctor is definitely one of the scariest things you’ll have to do as an adult. There’s just something about calling to schedule an appointment and the “on hold” music that raises anxiety levels. Trying to remember the simplest things like your name and date of birth somehow becomes ten times more difficult when you’re simultaneously trying to figure out your availability. 

Paying rent: 3/10

Ever feel a sense of dread at the end of the month that you can’t quite put your finger on? It’s probably the reality of knowing you have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in rent. Who knew living was so expensive?

Cooking: 6/10

You either love or hate cooking. For those who love it, it’s probably no big deal and is an enjoyable time. The rest of us, however, are trying to figure out if we can live off our favorite “struggle meal” and random ingredients we found in our pantry. Cooking also means doing dishes, which I’m sure we can all agree is a nuisance. 

Working: 4/10

Like cooking, you either love or hate it, depending on your job type. For most, working is a reminder that you’re no longer a child who attends school during the day and plays during the evening. Rather, working involves lots of responsibilities and may be the reason your blood pressure keeps rising.

While certainly scary at first, adulthood is not all that bad. It’s bound to surprise you in both good and bad ways. And you’ll probably have some excellent stories to tell by the time it’s over!

Contact Sophie Ward at 

JANUARY 25, 2023