BERKELEY'S NEWS • SEPTEMBER 21, 2023

Apply to The Daily Californian by September 8th!

Alex Edgar for external affairs vice president

SARAH ANSELL | COURTESY

Having worked in two EAVP offices, Edgar recognizes the position's successes and room for improvement.

APRIL 10, 2023

Alex Edgar is ready to further foment political advocacy as the next external affairs vice president. Running unopposed in the position, Edgar seeks to build on his current track record of success and increase voter registration and participation in the UC Berkeley community. Currently, Edgar is endorsed by EAVP Bailey Henderson, EAVP Federal Government Relations Director Issabella Romo, EAVP Local Government Relations Director Nick Grosh and EAVP State Government Relations Director Cyn Gomez.

Edgar has worked on the local, state and national level to amplify the voices of youth, as represented by the California Secretary of State honoring him with the John Lewis Youth Leadership Award, and will continue to do so as the next EAVP. The list of Edgar’s qualifications is nonexhaustive; from leading the ASUC Vote Coalition to serving as an intern at the UC National Center for Free Speech and Civic Engagement, he champions students and their respective agendas on campus.

In a conversation with Edgar, he noted taking a trip to Washington, D.C. with other UC Berkeley students to directly lobby government officials. On this trip, Edgar emphasized the importance of bringing concerns past the administration and advocating on larger stages. An essential role of the EAVP is serving as a liaison between the student body and administration, and Edgar’s cross-country connections have allowed him to pull up a seat at the bargaining table. Coupled with his enthusiasm and effort, Edgar will certainly find a home within the office of the EAVP, which we are eager to witness in the fall.

Vote Alex Edgar for external affairs vice president.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of the editorial board as written by the spring 2023 deputy opinion editor, Emma Solomon. Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter.

APRIL 10, 2023